The most common problem whenr garage door sensors are not working properly is that they are dirty or that they are out of alignment. The best way to ensure that they are clean is by putting Isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab and then wiping the sensor glass clean. If you are still experiencing problems you can align the sensors yourself. It is of vital importance that a garage door functions properly as a faulty door can endanger the life of your family and pets and put your security at risk.
Things You’ll Need
- A tape measure
- String that is long enough to tie to each sensor
- It is vital that you turn off the electric breaker or disconnect it from the power supply. This is done to prevent electrical shock whilst working on the sensors.
- Note where the garage door sensors can be found. They are located approximately 4 to 6 inches, on each side, from the bottom of the garage door rail. You need to loosen the screws on each of the sensors. This as to allow the small amount of force needed to move up or down.
- The maximum height allowed for the sensors is six inches of the ground. You must adjust each garage door sensor to no more than this height off the ground.
- Next you must tie the string to each of the garage door sensors that you have just adjusted.
- Remember that the string must be above and only touch the level very gently. If you find that the string is not level you will have to do adjust the garage door sensors so that they are level to the string. Note also that each garage door sensor must not exceed a height of
6 inches from the ground.
- Now you need to tighten the screws on each of the sensors. Then check that the string after tightening the screws on the garage door sensors is still level…
- Now you can untie the string from each of the garage door sensors.
- You are now able to turn on the electrical breaker or reconnect your power supply.
- To test the alignment you can roll a soccer balll between the beams. This is a test to be sure that the garage door sensors are functioning as they should.
- Your garage door sensors might still not be working as result of fingerprints left on the sensors. Clean the sensors again with isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab. You will have to replace the sensors if they remain faulty…
Remember: A qualified Technician CAN Answer all your questions Now! Every 9 seconds A Question is answered
Tips & Warnings
- Remember: Garage door sensors should never exceed the height of six inches from the ground. They must be positioned between 4 to 6 inches from the ground for safety reasons.
The garage door opener has the function of pulling the door, that runs on a series of tracks, up and down. Only a garage door that has been adjusted properly will move up and down in a smooth and even motion. However, if the adjustment has not been performed correctly the door will run unevenly on the tracks and the unit will also stick. If your door is warped, it can be another cause for the door to run unevenly on the tracks. The warped door will also be cause the unit to stick. It is easy to prevent a crooked door by performing regular adjustments.
Things You Will Need
- Tension rod
- Firstly, do an inspection of the tracks of the garage door and look for signs of dirt or other any other obstructions. You can clean the the track of the garage door quite easily with a brush and this will prevent drag
- Check your garage door to and check carefully for signs of warping.
- If you do ascertain that the garage door is warped you can follow this procedure:
- First insert the end of a tension rod into the corner of the door
- Now tighten down well with the use of a wrench and then you must attach the other end to the top corner of the door.
- Lastly turn the turnbuckle in the middle of the tension rod. Do this until you see it pulls the door straight.
- If you want to prevent drag on the one side of the door, it is advisable to turn the force adjustment screw clockwise, as this will increase the force of the door when it opens.. You must insert a screwdriver into the door opener. Then turn the screw clockwise to increase the door pressure. If you turn it counter clockwise it will decrease the pressure. Remember it is important to turn only a one-quarter turn at a time, as this will keep the adjustments to a minimum.
More Tips & Warnings
- Always inspect the springs of the garage door opener, on a regular basis, for signs of rust, wear or sagging. If you need to replace the springs, it is advisable to call out a professional garage door repair technician to perform this task. Springs are at an extremely high tension and are quite dangerous if a non-professional attempts to replace them.
Most often, the most common cause of problems you experience when closing your garage door with an opener is that the sensors are faulty. You will find that most garage door openers have infrared sensors. These garage door sensors are situated near the floor on either side of the garage door. The purpose of these sensors is to prevent your door from closing when the beam between them is broken. If your opener is problematic it is more than likely that you may need to replace the garage door sensors.
Things You will Need
- New garage door sensors
- A Screwdriver or socket wrench
- Piece of string
- First, you should test the existing sensors and ennsure sure nothing is blocking the sensors. Also, ensure the eyes are not dirty. Then check and see if there is no loose wiring at the sensors. Should you need to replace the sensors you will find new ones at any home improvement centre.
- Now shut off electrical power to the garage door opener. Then disconnect wiring from the garage door sensors. You can remove the sensors quite easily by unscrewing the mounting screws or just removing the nuts holding the sensors in place.
- You MUST install new sensors in the exact position where you removed the old sensors. Now tighten the screw or nut until you find it holds the garage door sensors in their place. Remember to always allow for movement if adjustments might become necessary. Now reconnect the wires.
- You can now align the sensors and you can do so by pulling a string from one to the other. You should make any necessary adjustments.
- Tighten screws or nuts once you have aligned them correctly. This is to ensure sensors are 100% secured. You must recheck alignment after tightening to make sure sensors did not shift.
- Finally, turn on the power of the garage door opener. You must test the garage door by closing the door and placing your hand in front of one of the sensors. If the garage door stops and then opens it means the garage door sensors are not working correctly and need adjusting, You will need to adjust the sensor positions until the garage door functions properly.
It is very easy to deactivate a remote. You have to take into account though that everything will be deactivated. Your Homelink equipped devices will also be deactivated. You will only be able to use your other remote or device once it is reprogrammed. If you press the “program: button on the back section of the opener’s logic board and press it down for at least ten seconds all the remotes, keyless entry and other devices will erased. To be assured everything is erased you can use your remaining remote to test that.
Firstly determine if the door is not perhaps locked. Remember if you are trying to open the door manually you must ensure you pull the release handle. This is so that the operator is separated from the door which is crucial? Have you established that the spring might be broken? The problem could also be as result of detached cables. The cables could be broken too. You might have recently painted the door and if so, did you paint the doorstop to the door?
Affordable and Quality Garage Door Repair in Arnold, MO
Open Sesame STL is a family owned and operated repair service that is well established in the Garage Door Repair Industry. Their professional team have years of experience and strive for excellence in both customer service and ensuring the highest quality of repairs by qualified and licensed technicians. Read more »
Affordable and Quality Garage Door Repair in Ballwin, MO
Open Sesame STL is aware that you place great emphasis on the safety of your home or business. These industry leaders know that you do not want to compromise the look of the exterior of your home and that you need to consider your finances. Open Sesame STL dedicated to providing you with quality workmanship at a cost that fits your budget and pleases your eye. Read more »
Affordable and Quality Garage Door Repair in Centralia, IL
Open Sesame STL is the Garage Door Repair Service Company that pride themselves on providing 100% customer satisfaction when servicing your garage doors or repairing them. They have top quality products such as Liftmaster products on hand when doing repairs and repairs are never time consuming thus the customer not inconvenienced. Read more »
Affordable and Quality Garage Door Repair in Chesterfield, MO
Open Sesame STL is there to assist you with the installation, repair or service of your garage door. We value our clients and therefore value your safety. It can be very dangerous to try and replace or repair your garage door yourself. It should be done by professionals. The tensions on the garage door springs are so great that it could cause you very serious injury. We have a team of dedicated and qualified technicians that you can trust. Read more »
Affordable and Quality Garage Door Repair in East Saint Louis, IL
Open Sesame STL is a family owned and operated Garage Door Repair Company and treat their valued customers with the respect and honesty they deserve. They offer a highly professional service and regard their customers with dignity and as their number one priority. The Open Sesame STL team ascertain your exact needs and a qualified, experienced team of expert technicians will assist you. Read more »